You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Photos: Wentworthville DRLFC -

A Luke Kelly penalty goal after the full time siren has handed Wenty a 24-22 win over Wyong at Ringrose Park in their Round 5 match on Sunday.

With both sides locked up at 22 apiece, the match seemed destined to end in a draw however referee Liam Nicholls found a Roos infringement some 30 metres out and right in front of the uprights; and with the siren blasting in the background, Luke Kelly made no mistake with the kick.

Early on, Wenty appeared to be cruising towards the two competition points when they shot out of the blocks, despite the trying conditions, to lead it 18-0 after tries to Toutai, Kelly and Faraimo however Wyong stormed back into the match with two quick converted tries of their own to O’Meley and Nicholls to see the scoreboard read 18-12 at half time.

The rain didn’t let up in the second half and both sides settled down to fight out what loomed a thrilling finish.

Wyong struck first in the second half when Vailea stormed onto a deft pass from Mitch Williams close to the line however Nicholls was unable to convert meaning that Wenty were still clinging on to a narrow lead.

The home side bought themselves some breathing room when in the 58th minute Faraimo bagged himself a double for the match after he was the recipient of a smart offload from Pewhairangi close to the line.

Now leading it by six, Wenty were doing all of the defending and you sensed it was only a matter of time until Wyong bothered the scoreboard attendant once more, and with around 10 minutes remaining, the Roos set up a grandstand finish when Nicholls scored his second of the day after he won the race to the ball and grounded it just inside the dead ball line.

Locked at 22-22, the Roos were first denied what looked a clear penalty for a high shot on captain Mitch Williams 35 metres out with around five to play, and then the afford mentioned Williams failed in a drop goal attempt, seeing his attempt going under the cross bar rather than over it.

With a draw now seeming very likely, and to be honest, probably a fair result, Wenty marched up the park one last time and ultimately were awarded the match winning penalty.

Nicholls and Williams were standouts for the visitors while Kelly was the conductor for the winners with Faraimo and Cummins both putting in invaluable performances at the back.

Wenty will head to Henson Park this Saturday to face the winless Jets while the Roos head to North Sydney Oval on Sunday afternoon for their second meeting of the year with the Bears.

Wentworthville Magpies 24 (B Faraimo 2, V Toutai, L Kelly tries; L Kelly 4 goals)


Wyong Roos 22 (D Nicholls 2, M O’Meley, T Vailea tries; D Nicholls 3 goals) at Ringrose Park.

Click through to read more from the NSWRL, or head to the new-look Wenty Magpies website to find out more about Wentworthville

Acknowledgement of Country

Parramatta Eels respect and honour the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Major Sponsor

Premier Partners

View All Partners