You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content

On Sunday night, the Eels led 28-22 heading into the final minute of the match with the Newcastle Knights having possession in their own half.

As the ball shifted through the hands and found halfback Tyrone Roberts, the number seven stepped off the right boot and showed a burst of speed to break through the line.

Enter Danny Wicks…

“He’s not getting away,” Wicks said after the game.

“The poor little fella, he is 2-1. He had two steps to every one of my one but that’s what the fans want.”

“We’re not going to be beaten in the 79th minute.”

Wicks was called into the starting side replacing Darcy Lussick who was ruled out through injury and the forward had a standout performance, finishing with 118m from his 15 hit ups along with his 29 tackles in a 53 minutes of game time.

“We work for each other, it doesn’t matter if somebody misses a tackle, you have to turn up and it just so happened to be me but I’m sure if you had a look around, there were plenty of other blokes chasing I was just lucky enough to get there first,” Wicks said.

“I had only been on for 3 minutes so I had no excuses why I couldn’t be floating around,” he added.

The game was an important one for Wicks, coming up against his former club for the first time in six years and the forward made his mark after making a vital play with seconds left on the clock.

“It was fitting for me that he made that last tackle at the end of the game to force the error. That’s how important and that’s how much it meant to him,” Arthur said of Wick’s efforts.

We caught up with forward Danny Wicks in the sheds after the game. See the full interview
Acknowledgement of Country

Parramatta Eels respect and honour the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Major Sponsor

Premier Partners

View All Partners