You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Chris Sandow is denied a try for a double movement. Photo: Robb Cox ©

The Dyldam Parramatta Eels have been defeated 28-10 by the Melbourne Storm at Pirtek Stadium on Sunday afternoon, with the visitors posting 18 unanswered points in the second half to secure the win. 

Melbourne were first on the board with Billy Slater scoring the visitors first try of the afternoon and looking sharp after returning from his stint on the sideline. Cameron Smith converted to take the lead to 6-0 in just the 7th minute.

The signs were promising for the Eels early when Corey Norman broke through a gap in the defensive line and was away down the field. Norman offloaded to halfback Chris Sandow, who put in a kick for Semi Radradra, but the bounce was not favourable.

Minutes later Semi Radradra intercepted a pass and was away. Chris Sandow crossed in the corner on the next play, for the referee to rule a knock on and no try.

The Eels were finally on the board in the 18th minute when Chris Sandow jagged an intercept and headed down the field, giving the Eels an attacking set from 20 metres out. Reece Robinson passed to Will Hopoate who stepped the Storm defence and crossed the line, taking the score to 6-4.

The Storm crossed in the 28th minutes through Blake Green, but were denied by the video referee.

The Eels responded as Ryan Morgan crossed in the corner for the second Eels try of the afternoon. Chris Sandow successfully converted and the Eels hit the lead 10-6 after 30 minutes.

An error by the Eels off the kick off proved costly, as the next set saw Billy Slater cross for his second try. Cameron Smith missed the conversion, and the score was locked at 10-10 heading into the break.

An error off the scrum gave the Eels a chance to score first in the second half. Chris Sandow looked to have scored a try but the video referee ruled a double movement and a penalty was awarded to the Storm.

From one end of the field to the other, the Storm took full advantage of their penalty, when Marika Koroibete caught a bomb uncontested, and scored in the corner for the first points of the second half. Cameron Smith converted and the visitors were ahead 16-10 after 55 minutes.

Ryan Morgan looked to be off down the sideline but was called back as the ball was called forward.

Marika Koroibete was away in the next set but was ankle tapped and the Eels forced an error.

The Storm extended their lead via Will Chambers scoring in the corner. Cameron Smith added the extras and the Storm jumped out to a 12-point lead with 27 minutes remaining. 

An accurately weighted kick by Sandow into the in-goal saw the Eels force a line drop out, but they were unable to find points.

The win was sealed for the Storm when Radradra came up with an error in goal, which led to Dale Finucane scoring the final try of the game.

Melbourne Storm - 28 (Slater 2, Koroibete, Chambers, Finucane. Smith: 4/5)

Dyldam Parramatta Eels - 10 (Hopoate, Morgan. Sandow: 1/2)

Acknowledgement of Country

Parramatta Eels respect and honour the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Major Sponsor

Premier Partners

View All Partners