You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content

The Magpies and the Bulldogs met at Ringrose Park to cap off a 'Family Fun Day' at Ringrose Park, but it would be the Bulldogs to have the most fun thanks to six unanswered tried in the first half. The home side fought back admirably early in the second, but would eventually find themselves on the wrong end of a huge 46-24 scoreline.

While the Wentworthville side ran out as initially named, the Bulldogs welcomed back hooker Craig Garvey, who had only managed seven minutes in the side's NRL game against the Broncos. Fresh in the minds of both sides would be their last meeting in Round 10, which the Blue-and-Whites won 42-14 thanks to a record-breaking six-try haul to Jarrod McInally.

McInally wasted little time in crossing again against the Magpies, taking a bomb to plant the ball down in the South-Eastern corner after just four minutes. The conversion was good from Brad Abbey and the visitors led 6-0 early in the contest.

A half-break from Harry Siejka soon got the visitors back within striking distance and they would make the most of it. Some good service from Garvey allowed for Lloyd Perrett to crash over under the posts.

The Bulldogs took more points from their next venture into enemy territory, which they reached following a good break from winger Reimis Smith. It would be Matt Frawley to cross this time and once again Abbey would add the extras for an 18-0 lead.

Wentworthville showed their fight but were unable to capitalise on some good field possession, before their defence opened up to allow Canterbury-Bankstown an easy run upfield. A simple show and go saw Garvey break into space and cross virtually untouched, once again converted with nine minutes remaining in the half.

Perrett would soon grab his second thanks to a slick movement down the right hand touchline, which saw Bronson Garlick lay the final flick pass for his prop to score. Abbey added the extras and it was suddenly 30-0.

The Magpies found themselves on the attack in the final minute of the first half and looked to have scored, but the referee ruled a Wentworthville penalty to give them one final throw of the dice. They shifted left and were all money to score, before Smith took an intercept and ran 90 metres to score. It was a demoralising blow to the home side on the stroke of half-time, with Canterbury-Bankstown going into the sheds ahead 36 points to nil.

Any chance of a comeback was going to require an immediate try to the Magpies and just three minutes after play resumed, that's exactly what happened; Bureta Faraimo broke through some soft defence on his 10 metre line and fended off McInally and Chase Stanley to score 90 metres upfield. Cameron King added the extras.

It was clearly a reinvigorated Wentworthville side and they looked significantly more dangerous than the opening stanza. It would be Scott Schulte to score in the South-Western corner after beating McInally, with King converting to take his side's total to 12 points.

Minutes later the Magpies forced a line dropout and would continue to build pressure, eventually cracking the Bulldogs defence in a swift movement to the left hand side. Dylan Izzard sent Jake Butler-Fleming over to score and when King converted, the home side had suddenly halved their deficit to 18 - with 23 minutes left on the clock.

Stanley was denied a try due to obstruction minutes later and the Magpies marched back downfield, looking equally dangerous before an Izzard forward pass prevented another try. Both opponents had missed opportunities in the ensuing period of play, but Joseph Ualesi would be the next to take a four-pointer on the back of a barnstorming run. With the conversion they needed to score just 12 points in as many minutes to complete the comeback.

Eventually, however, the Bulldogs put thoughts of a comeback to bed via a 50-metre line-break to Tyrone Phillips, who went himself to complete an impressive try. It gave the Magpies little hope in the dying stages and the Bulldogs put the final nail in the coffin via Chase Stanley before the final whistle. With the missed conversion from Brad Abbey - his first from his eight attempts, the Bulldogs finished the game 46 points to 24 at full-time.

Canterbury-Bankstown 46 (L Perrett 2, R Smith, J McInally, M Frawley, T Phillips, C Garvey tries; B Abbey 7 goals) 


Wentworthville 24 (S Schulte, J Butler-Fleming, B Faraimo, J Valesi tries; C King 4 goals)

This article originally appeared on

Acknowledgement of Country

Parramatta Eels respect and honour the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Major Sponsor

Premier Partners

View All Partners