You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Competition - NRL
Round - 22
Teams – Rabbitohs V Raiders
Date –  5th of August 2016
Venue – Pirtek Stadium
Photographer – Cox
Description –

The Dyldam Parramatta Eels Holden Cup side has defeated the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles 24-10 in difficult conditions this evening at Pirtek Stadium.

The Eels were able to mount pressure from the start, forcing a goal line drop out early from the visitors. However, some handling errors, as a result of the slippery conditions, stopped the Eels from finding the line.

Both sides found it difficult to complete sets as the rain started to become a factor.  

Soon after, the home side was first on the board in the 8th minute when Troy Dargan broke through the defensive line before sending his winger Jermaine Mati-Leifi down the left wing and crossing in the corner. Michael Doolan was unsuccessful with the boot as the Eels took the lead 4-0.

The strong defence continued from Parramatta as they forced yet another loose ball from the Sea Eagles in the 14th minute and as a result, the blue and gold started their set 20 metres out. Dargan kicked on the last as it was collected by Manly in goal, with the second line drop out of the night being forced.

Back to back drops outs saw the Eels building some more pressure, however the Sea Eagles managed to hold on after some strong back to back defensive sets.

Although defensively they could hold out the home side, the Sea Eagles were unable to mount any pressure in attack from consecutive handling errors as the score remained 4-0 after 20 minutes of play.

The Eels were on the attack in the 23rd minute after Manly had given away another penalty. It was Dargan again who was instrumental in the home side’s attack as he threw a great cut out pass to his winger James Gammidge who scored for Parramatta’s second try of the night. Doolan was unsuccessful with the conversion as the Eels extended their lead 8-0.

The Eels were striking again off the kick off as the Sea Eagles scrambled in defence. They forced yet another penalty before the Eels were over again off a set scrum play as Mason Cerruto added another four points to the home side’s total. The Eels taking a 12-0 lead into the sheds at the break.

The completions continued to drop in the second half as the rain continued to impact the game. The fancy football was being tested as the conditions deteriorated and both teams were forced to stick to simple footy.

There was plenty of enthusiasm and strong runs from both sides, but the conditions made it difficult in executing the attack with completions dropping further as the game progressed.

It wasn’t until the 64th minute for the next points to be scored, when Dane Aukafolau broke the Manly try line defence and crossed for the Eels. Doolan converted his first of the night as the Eels took the lead out to 18-0 with less than 15 minutes remaining.

Minutes later, Tui Oloapu picked up a loose ball dropped by the visitors before offloading to Tyrell Fuimaono as he dodged his way around the broken defence to find the line for the Eels. Doolan added the extras as the Eels skipped ahead 24 points to 0.

It took 71 minutes for Manly to find their first points of the night through Lucas Price, but it ultimately proved too late for the visitors.

A late break from the Sea Eagles saw Tui Oloapu sin binned for a professional foul as the visitors scored in the last minute when Price crossed for a double.

The Eels simply too strong, defeating the Sea Eagles 24-10.

Parramatta Eels: 24 (Tries: Mati Liefi, Gammidge, Cerruto, Aukafolau, Fuimaono. Goals: Doolan 2/5)


Manly Warringah Sea Eagles: 10 (Tries: Price 2. Goals: Hynes 1/2)

Acknowledgement of Country

Parramatta Eels respect and honour the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Major Sponsor

Premier Partners

View All Partners