You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content

A late fight back by the New Zealand Warriors has seen them snatch a 30-22 victory from the Wentworthville Magpies in Round 19 of the Canterbury Cup.

Taane Milne picked up the first points of the game for the Warriors in the second minute of play, scoring in the corner after back-to-back sets on the Magpies line.

Andrew Davey opened up the scoring for the Magpies, with some nice footwork seeing him score under the post in the ninth minute of play.

The Magpies continued to build momentum with three penalties from the Warriors and they turned possession into points. 

Fullback Will Smith took a quick tap from the third penalty and broke the defensive line before offloading to half Jaeman Salmon in support, who finished off the nice play, scoring under the post for a 12-4 lead.

The Warriors hit back minutes later with winger Lewis Soosemea diving over in the corner after a string of passes.

Taane Milne made the conversion from the sideline to get the Warriors within two points of the Magpies.

The Magpies showed plenty of determination, forcing several penalties and back-to-back goal line drop-outs and it paid off.

A nice inside ball from Jaeman Salmon put second rower Andrew Davey over for his second try of the game on the stroke of halftime, with the Magpies running into the sheds up 16 to 10.

The Magpies started the second half how they finished the first, with plenty of intent, and it wasn’t long before they added to their score.

Interchange forward D'Rhys Miller swivelled around the Warriors defence to score under the post after a nice cut out ball from Matt McIlwrick at hooker just five minutes into the second half.

The Warriors weren’t ready to roll over and took advantage of a dropped ball 10 metres from their try line.

Forward Chris Satae was determined as he pushed his way over the defence to score under the posts and tighten the score line to 22-14.

The teams went set for set for the next 20 minutes, before the Warriors picked up two quick tries in the 68th and 71st minute.

Hayze Perham plucked an intercept and ran 70 metres to score to see the away side trail by two in the 68th minute before centre Taane Milne scored his second try of the game off a grubber that wasn't able to be cleaned up by the Magpies defence. 

Milne's second of the afternoon seeing the Magpies regain the lead for the first time since the fourth minute of play. 

A penalty goal in front of the post in the final minute of play sealed the win for the Warriors, claiming a 30-22 victory over the Magpies.

Wentworthville Magpies 22 (Tries: Andrew Davey (2), Jaeman Salmon, D'Rhys Miller; Goals: Rhys Davies (3))

def by

New Zealand Warriors 30 (Tries: Taane Milne (2), Lewis Soosemea, Chris Satae, Hayze Perham; Goals: Taane Milne (4), Penalty: Taane Milne (1))

Acknowledgement of Country

Parramatta Eels respect and honour the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Major Sponsor

Premier Partners

View All Partners