You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Gallant Eels suffer heartbreak at home

An epic Eels comeback fell short in a devastating 28-18 defeat to the Sydney Roosters at CommBank Stadium on Saturday.

Parramatta powered back from a 16-0 deficit to snatch an unlikely 18-16 lead in the early stages of the second half, but ran out of steam as two tries in the final 15 minutes saw the Roosters off to victory.

Mitchell Moses kickstarted the Eels’ resurgence when he made the most of Reagan Campbell-Gillard’s outrageous run into the backfield. A sensational solo try by Dylan Brown and a team effort finished off by Blaize Talagi drew the Blue & Gold level, before Moses pushed Parramatta ahead with a penalty goal.

NRL Match Highlights: Eels v Roosters

The Eels had half an hour to hold on, but were unable to finish the job as tries in the 65th and 75th secured two points for the visitors.

With a bye up next, the Eels will return to action in Round 17 away to Newcastle.

The early sin-binning of Kelma Tuilagi for a dangerous tackle left the Eels playing catch-up from the get go.

Fetalaiga Pauga scored down the Eels’ undermanned left edge in the 4th minute, before Michael Jennings crossed on the other side in the 9th minute.

Clint Gutherson came to the Eels’ rescue with one-on-one tackles to deny runaway Spencer Leniu and Luke Keary in quick succession, but there was only so much he could do.

The Roosters’ raid continued when Daniel Tupou scored off a scrum play in the 27th minute, making it 16-0.

The Eels were given a glimpse late in the first half as Jared Waerea-Hargreaves was sent to the sin bin for high contact.

An early chance to capitalise was botched, before a moment of madness inspired a spirited end to the first half.

Out of nowhere, Reagan Campbell-Gillard burst into the backfield off a Junior Paulo offload. The veteran prop galloped 30 metres through open space, and then found Mitchell Moses surging through in support to complete a sensational try.

Runaway Reg sends Mitch under the sticks

Moses’ conversion made it 16-6 at the break, and the Eels entered the second half with a spring in their step.

The Roosters had an appeal for a try denied by the Bunker early in the second stanza, and Parramatta proceeded to take the game by the scruff of the neck.

Dylan Brown did it all himself to score the all-important opening try of the second forty, blitzing down the shortside with speed and skill to beat three defenders in a 30-metre dash to the line.

Dazzling Dylan dashes to the line

Moses kicked an enormous conversion from out wide to close the gap to four points, and moments later the Eels drew level.

The football went through six sets of hands in a shift from left to right before falling to Blaize Talagi, who dived over in the corner and sent CommBank Stadium into raptures.

Blaize bags Eels equaliser

Moses’ sideline conversion attempt was unsuccessful, however his penalty goal soon after pushed Parramatta into their first lead of the night.

The Eels bravely hung onto their slender lead for 15 minutes, but it was not enough.

Tries in the final 15 minutes to Daniel Tupou and Angus Crichton got the Roosters across the line, ending the match in heartbreak for Parramatta.

Following a Round 16 bye and a Round 17 visit to Newcastle, the Eels return to CommBank Stadium in Round 18 against the South Sydney Rabbitohs on Thursday 4 July.

Acknowledgement of Country

Parramatta Eels respect and honour the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Major Sponsor

Premier Partners

View All Partners