You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Eels crush Sea Eagles at ANZ Stadium

The Parramatta Eels have broken their drought with a crushing 44-10 win over the Manly Sea Eagles at ANZ Stadium in their round seven clash on Sunday afternoon.

Brad Arthur ran the changes following their disappointing 18-2 loss in round six against the Canberra Raiders. Winger Bevan French was ruled out through injury while Beau Scott, Kane Evans and Josh Hoffman were all withdrawn from the side.

Jarryd Hayne returned from a hip injury while David Gower took his place on the bench. Captain Tim Mannah dropped back to the bench with Daniel Alvaro and Suaia Matagi taking their places in the starting side.

The Eels started with early pressure on the Manly line and should have had the lead inside the first five minutes but Mitchell Moses hooked a shot at penalty goal to the left of the uprights.

In the eighth minute Hayne came close as he barged down the left edge but Manly fullback Tom Trbojevic was able to drag him down just short of the line.

Parramatta though hit the lead three minutes later through a Mitchell Moses penalty goal.

The Eels were on the attack straight from the kick-off after Cherry-Evans kicked the ball out on the full.

Manly then had an opportunity of their own to post their first points after Cherry-Evans nailed a 40/20 attempt. Centre Brian Kelly appeared to have sliced through on their left edge but it was called back due to an obstruction.

In the 26th minute the Eels posted their first try in two weeks through some vintage Blue and Gold hot-potato football.

They went to their right through a poor pass to Gutherson. He went to Norman who found Moses. The halfback skipped back to his left and drifted across field before beating Cherry-Evans on the outside. He found Hayne who popped the ball to Manu Ma'u on the left wing and the barnstorming back-rower crossed untouched.

Moses converted and the Eels led 8-0.

Parramatta were back on the attack in the 34th minute courtesy of a penalty against Jake Trbojevic. The Eels made full use of their opportunity with a looping Mitchell Moses pass finding an unmarked George Jennings who crossed in the right-hand corner.

The Eels half nailed the sideline conversion and the Blue and Gold had jumped to a 14-0 lead.

Parramatta though weren't done for the half and in the 39th minute, following a quick play-the-ball by Brad Takairangi, Kaysa Pritchard sliced through from 15 metres out and scored adjacent to the uprights.

Moses made no mistake from virtually in front and the Blue and Gold went to half-time leading 20-0.

The Eels were back on the attack shortly after half-time, after a knock-on from Apisai Koroisau 30 metres from his own line.

Parramatta cashed in on their pressure in the 47th minute through Corey Norman, who sliced through some weak defence on Manly's left edge. Moses again made no mistake and the Eels held a 26-0 lead.

The Blue and Gold were in again in the 55th minute when Moses took the ball 15 metres from the Manly line and chipped ahead with Michael Jennings winning the race to the ball in the in-goal.

Moses though was unable to convert, striking the right-hand upright. Even with the missed conversion, the Blue and Gold led 30-0.

Brad Parker broke through for Manly's first try of the afternoon in the 58th minute, crossing on the right edge. Cherry-Evans added the extras and the Eels had a 30-6 lead.

The Eels responded two minutes later.

A hard-running set led by Peni Terepo and Daniel Alvaro gave the Eels good field position. Norman received the ball 15 metres from the Manly line on the left side of the field and popped a short ball to a straight running Kenny Edwards who crossed untouched.

Moses added the extras and the Blue and Gold surged ahead 36-6.

With 16 minutes to go Akuila Uate scored on Manly's left edge with Cherry-Evans unable to convert, giving the Eels a 36-10 lead.

In the 67th minute Clint Gutherson added himself to the scoring sheet off the back of some more second phase play.

This time the Eels went to their left with Norman finding Takairangi who headed back in field and popped the ball to Alvaro who went on to Moses. The diminutive half sliced through the middle and threw an inside ball to Gutherson who carried a Manly player over the line.

Moses converted from in front and the Eels led 42-10.

A penalty in the 69th minute 30 metres out and 20 metres to the left of the upright ssaw the Eels opt for another shot at goal with Moses adding the two and giving the Blue and Gold a 44-10 lead.

Following the successful penalty goal the Sea Eagles kicked the ball out on the full for the second time in the afternoon and handed the Eels more field position.

In the 76th minute Manly looked to have scored their third for the afternoon but the Bunker disallowed the try after Uate deliberately batted the ball over Michael Jennings.

The Eels played out the remaining four minutes, winning 44-10.

The Blue and Gold are at home again next week when they face the Wests Tigers on Sunday afternoon.

Parramatta Eels 44 (Tries: Ma'u, G Jennings, Pritchard, Norman, M Jennings, Edwards, Gutherson. Goals: Moses 8/10)


Manly Sea Eagles 10 (Tries: Parker, Uate. Goals: Cherry-Evans 1/2)

Acknowledgement of Country

Parramatta Eels respect and honour the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Major Sponsor

Premier Partners

View All Partners