You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Bevan French stars in Magpies win

Wentworthville Magpies v Dragons, Round Eight Highlights

The Wentworthville Magpies were too strong for the St George Illawarra Dragons in their Round Eight clash at Bankwest Stadium.

The Magpies and Dragons both went into the game with four wins for the season and were hungry to grab the two competition points.

It was the Dragons who grabbed first points in the game, with Jonus Pearson crossing in the fourth minute to take the Red V to a four-point lead after a failed conversion.

Magpies fullback Bevan French took it upon himself to hit back in the 12th minute, cutting through the middle and scoring under the post. Rhys Davies converted the try, putting the home side on the front foot.

Ethan Parry forced repeated attacking sets on the Dragons line after chasing a nicely placed high kick and forcing a line drop out.

The centre himself took advantage of the repeat sets and scored in the corner off a grubber kick in the 21st minute. Rhys Davies booted a nice conversion from the sideline to put the Magpies ahead 12-4.

The Dragons tightened the score line just 20 seconds before halftime, with Jonus Pearson crossing in the corner for his second try of the game.

The home side still ran into the sheds at halftime leading 12-8.

The Magpies strong defence forced several ball handling errors made by the Red V. The home team got an opportunity in the first five minutes of the second half inside the Dragons’ 40, off a knock on.

They took full advantage of their chances with Haze Dunster crashing over three defenders to pick up the four points in the corner.

Rhys Davies continued his superb form with the boot, converting the try from the sideline, putting Magpies ahead 18-8.

The Red V scored a disallowed a try minutes later, with the referee ruling double movement.

Just one set later Bevan French had the Dragons’ defence running around in circles with some beautiful footwork. He made something out of nothing and crossed for his second try under the post to extend the Magpies’ lead.

The Dragons created a half chance with a line break and kick down the left side but the Magpies got their hands on the grubber first.

The Red V made the most of their next opportunity with Jackson Ford picking up a try, which was converted by Darren Nicholls with 15 minutes to go.

Bevan French crossed for his third try on the full-time buzzer for the Magpies and it was converted by Rhys Davies.

Magpies enjoyed a comfortable victory over the Dragons 30-14.

Acknowledgement of Country

Parramatta Eels respect and honour the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Major Sponsor

Premier Partners

View All Partners